RECIPE: THE BEST HEALTHY PIZZA ALTERNATIVE
Time to read 2 min
Time to read 2 min
So, you are trying to cut down on the take-out foods, but you just REALLY LOVE PIZZA, hey? We've got the perfect recipe for you. Anyone that's said "clean eating" is boring has no idea. Here is a great low-carb, low-sugar, healthy alternative to your favourite pizza!
1 small/medium size cauliflower (head)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon almond meal
1 whole Egg
Dried crushed red pepper optional**
You will also need all the delicious toppings you choose to put on your pizza!
I opt to use the mozzarella that the crust called for and a simple organic tomato sauce! I like my pizza more plain, but get creative and do whatever your tummy is grumbling for!
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Wash and dry head of cauliflower.
3. On a cutting board, cut the florets from the cauliflower stem. Place florets in food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds. You will know when you are finished pulsing when your cauliflower starts looking like snow! You should end up with 2 to 3 cups cauliflower “snow”. Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave for 4 minutes. Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel or doubled up strong poet towel (I used paper towels in the video) but first allow to cool for a while before attempting the next step.
4. Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, (if you don’t wait long enough you can burn yourself) wrap it up in the dish towel/paper towel and wring all the water out. This is where your lifting capabilities come in! Do you even lift bro? ...haha!! You want to squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure you get a chewy pizza like crust instead of a crumbly mess. (See video)
5. Dumped cauliflower into a large mixing bowl. Also add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 teaspoon pink salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt), 1 tablespoon almond meal (quick tip – add a dash of crushed red peppers if you want a little spice) Now add your egg and mix away. Hands tend to work best!
6. Once mixed together, use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your pizza pan lined with parchment paper. Pat it down thoroughly, you want it nice and tightly formed together. Don’t make it too thick or thin either.
7. Eeeek …. How amazing does the crust look and we haven’t even baked it yet! Now pop it in the oven (crust only) and Bake for 8 – 11 minutes, until it starts to turn golden brown. Remove from oven!!
8. Here comes the fun part!! Add however much sauce, cheese, and toppings you want. (See video above for my desired toppings) When adding toppings there is no special recipe or specific measurements for this step! You know how you like your pizza – so go for it! After finished with your sauce and topping – Slide pizza back in the hot oven and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly golden.